Saturday 14 January 2012

Nerd Lacquer - a quartet of awesome

I finally had the time and sunlight to properly swatch my small collection of Nerd Lacquer polishes. While I've been wearing these off and on since I got them, I haven't been able to take any decent pictures, which is frustrating! But I've finally got them :)

First up is a revisit, Entirely Unlike Tea, a semi sheer pinky nude with tiny silver glitter, and just a touch of larger round glitter. The texture was a bit watery and extremely sheer on the first coat, but covered nicely on the second. At three it became almost opaque, but it had just the slightest visible nail line in bright light, not enough for a fourth coat though.

(the full review was already posted here)



And now for something completely different, It's Just a Flesh Wound. "A fierce black base with small and medium black, red, and copper hexagonal glitter, plus black and charcoal microglitter and big silver hex glitter."

The bottle:



Three coats:



 I didn't get much of the big silver hex glitter, but I got a TON of the red and copper! This is the second time I've worn this, and it's a ton of fun to look at. Warning: this polish drinks topcoat! Expect 2-3 coats of topcoat before it's nice and smooth.

This applies nicely, with minimal streaking. It's fairly opaque at two coats, but I added a third to see if I could get some of the bigger glitter on my nails. Sadly, I failed, but I'll keep trying!

Next up is Don't Blink. "a stone grey creme with silver and charcoal glitter, silver microglitter, and big silver hex glitter."

The bottle:



Three coats:



I had a hard time applying this one - I think it may be from the brush in the small bottle. It was quite thick and goopy, but oh the colour! It's a beautiful polish. The grey base colour has a fair bit of lavender to it, and the glitter is just gorgeous. It's quite smooth when it's finally applied, and a single coat of topcoat is enough for a glassy finish.

Last but certainly not least is Event Horizon. "a blackened teal with small and medium blue and turquoise hexagonal glitter, silver and iridescent glitter, plus bright blue microglitter, and generously spiked with fine and ultrafine holographic sparkles"

The bottle:



Three coats, indoors:



Sunlight:



Angled:



Extreme close up:



It was SO TOUGH to capture this polish on the camera! The holographic glitter sparkles like mad in the sun, but was impossible to photograph, hence the extra pictures. You can see a bit of the holo effect on the last three, but nowhere near as intense as it looks in person.

This was my favourite of the bunch. Opaque in two coats, easy to apply, and simply stunning. I put one coat of Seche Vite on top, and it could have used a second for a proper glass finish, but I was happy with it as it was.

Overall I really like the Nerd Lacquer polishes I have. I see myself wearing all of these frequently, but especially Entirely Unlike Tea and Event Horizon. And I'll be ordering more!

I bought my Nerd Lacquers from Harlow & Co, but they can also be purchased at her Etsy shop.

2 comments:

  1. These are so cool! I NEED Don't Blink. I freakin' LOVE Dr. Who! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really lovely. I need to do another application and take my time - this one came out meh.

      She has six Doctor Who polishes in total and I really want Exterminate!

      http://www.etsy.com/listing/85608149/oi-spaceman-custom-blended-nail-polish set 1

      http://www.etsy.com/listing/82479459/mad-man-with-a-box-custom-nail-polish set 2

      Delete