Sunday 8 January 2012

Flakie-palooza, Part 2

All photos can be clicked for a full-sized version.


Flakie-palooza Part 1 can be found here.


I actually had a lot of sunlight to work with today - clear blue skies, and a cooperative bright sun made me a happy swatcher!

Today I managed to get through the rest of my collection of flakies: the entire Finger Paints line up, Nubar 2010, and Deborah Lippmann Edge of Glory 3D Holo (I know it's not a holo, but that's what it's called). As with all my other swatches, these are all over one coat of Edge of Glory black creme polish.

First up, Nubar 2010

The bottle:




One coat:



Two coats:




The colour scheme in this polish is identical to Picture Polish Splendour and Essie Shine of the Times. Of the three, this one has the ideal amount of flakie goodness in my opinion. It was easy to apply, and quite pretty!

Next up is Deborah Lippmann's Edge of Glory 3D Holo.

The bottle:





One coat:


Two coats:


This one was tough to apply neatly. The formula itself is quite thick and goopy, more so than any other flakie I've tested. Having said that, it's quite lovely and flashes a ton of colours. Primarily it's a blue/orange combo, but you can see pink, red, green, and purple at times. It's also the most expensive of the bunch, retailing for $40 (on sale for $29) for the combo set.

Onto the big collection: Finger Paints!

First from this collection is Motley.

The bottle:





One coat:



Two coats:



This was a surprise favourite. I thought it'd be dull and monochromatic, instead I fell in love with how beautifully cool my fingers looked. Flashes of deep indigo, teal, and aqua keep this from being just a plain blue flakie.

Next up, Asylum.

The bottle:





One coat:





This one is probably closest in colour to the Lippmann flakie - primarily orange and blue, but with some bright yellow too. The flakes are also nice and varied in size. Lovely!

Onto Flecked.

The bottle:





One coat:



Two coats:



A green version of Motley. This is perhaps my least favourite of the bunch, but it's still quite lovely.

Next is Flashy, the last of the Nubar 2010/Shine of the Times/Splendour colour scheme.

The bottle:





One coat:



Two coats:



This red/yellow/orange combo seems to be the most common one out there. All look pretty much identical except for the density and size of flakies. If I had any of the ones in this scheme, I'd give this one a miss.


Last but certainly not least, Twisted

The bottle:





One coat:


Two coats:


Definitely my favourite of the Finger Paints collection, this one has all sorts of interesting colours packed into it! I'd pick this one up no matter how many other flakies I already had.


I like all of these flakies. Do I need them all? No, but given that they're all just a bit different, I'm not unhappy to have them. If I was going to give up any, I'd give up Shine of the Times, Flashy, and Splendour as I think Nubar 2010 does this colour combo the best of all four.

So there you have it. 11 flakies, all swatched and presented in (I hope) a useful manner. If you want anything swatched side by side for better comparisons, just leave a comment and I'll do it when I redo the two I missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment